President Rodrigo Duterte bared his position again on the coming barangay election this October 2017, saying “I don’t know if we have still election” after it was postponed last year.
He said this during the joint press conference with him, Senate President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III and House Speaker Pantaleon “Bebot” Alvarez in Malacañang Palace late afternoon Monday.
He reasoned out that if there would be barangay election, “narco politicians will prevail, then you have narco public officials who will run the government and control the drugs.”
“I have to satisfy myself first na no narco politics na,” he said, adding that narco top personalities had penetrated the government about six years ago. He named imprisoned Senator Leila De Lima as No. 1 per tag of Speaker Alvarez.
Before Malacanang reporters, Duterte opened the joint presscon, first giving his categorical support to Environment Secretary Gina Lopez. He rapped his finger at the paper sheets in his hand containing photos and data showing the environmental destruction wrought by several blacklisted mining firms.
He said he goes for mining ban, which he could not yet say on specifics.
The President renewed his warning that “mining lobby money is coming in.”
He said that with the mining lobby money and the drug money, “binabaliktad nila,” obviously referring to his oppositionists and apparently including their media outlets and media friends engaging alleged destabilization against his administration.
In the joint presscon, both Pimentel and Alvarez pledged their “solid support” to the President’s campaigns against drugs and corruption and for clean environment. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)